La Baume castle
The oldest document mentioning this castle dates all the way back to 1275. At the time, it was under the authority of Peyre’s seigneury, whose barony settled definitely in the castle in 1632, after Peyre’s castle was destroyed.
The building then was renovated: east and north wings were built flanked by huge corner towers. Those modifications did not affect the interiors, and the current state of the castle dates back to beginning of the 18th century.
In 1708, the castle was extended and the southern façade was built in order to evocate Versailles. A tower was raised in the south-east corner, similar to the three older towers, in order to create symmetry. Eastward, two two-story detached houses were built to close the courtyard created by the new façade.
By its appearance, the castle is more similar to medieval structures than to its contemporary buildings from the 17th century.
The castle is open to visitors :
- In july & august: every day from 10:00 am to 12:00 and 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
- From September to June: by appointment.
- Find all the information you need on the castle’s website.